The holidays are here and there isn’t a better time for cookie decorating! This is my favorite sugar cookie recipe which creates soft buttery flavorful cookies. It’s a simple recipe with basic ingredients. The cookie dough rolls out smooth, cuts easy, cooks in 6-7 minutes and the cookies keep their shape. Best of all, they taste amazing!
Sugar Cookie Helpful tips:
- Sweet cream butter is a no-no. Do not use, it makes the dough sticky and wet
- Do not over mix when creaming your butter & sugar, this adds too much air
- For dough thickness – I use an adjustable rolling pin with removable rings so I can evenly roll to the desired thickness
- I roll out the dough on wax paper. The dough doesn’t stick and its easy to lift off when transferring to the cookie baking sheet
- This sugar cookie recipe above makes about 12-14 large cookies (3″-4″ cookie cutters)
- Minimize project time by baking more cookies at once. Use these extra large 21″ x 15″ baking sheet pans (make sure you measure your oven width, it fits perfectly in my standard oven)
- Limited on space? these stackable cooling racks are awesome. Package includes 3. I stack when cookies cool, then unstack and use as drying racks during my cookie decorating parties
- Ann Clark holiday cookie cutters are hands down the best in quality & design. Made in the USA and have been around 30+ years
- I prefer mixing up some royal icing & adding gel coloring but often use Wilton’s bottled cookie icing when the kids are decorating. The Wilton icing comes in a handy squirt bottle and is just easier for the kids to handle.
8 thoughts on “The Perfect Sugar Cookie Recipe”
I tried your sugar cookie recipe. Yummy! It was easy and melt in your mouth delicious. It’s great that it doesn’t need to be refrigerated too!
This one’s a keeper in my recipe book.
Thank you for sharing.
Thank you Sherry! Love to hear you enjoyed and will remake. Perfect for all occasions!
I was just looking for a Sugar Cookie recipe the other day. I look forward to trying this recipe, my Little one is going to love decorating cookies!
These look amazing! I love making cut-out sugar cookies and will definitely add try these out!
Thanks for sharing this easy to make recipe. It’s perfect. I was looking for a recipe to make heart shaped cookies for Valentine’s Day! Awesome
These look so yummy! Can’t wait to try them with my kids! 🙂
Your cookies are beautiful! Can you also share your royal icing recipe? I can’t seem to get the consistency right. I loved the extra tips after the recipe as well. I might incorporate that into my own recipes. Thanks so much for putting this out.
This looks like a super easy recipe to follow. Thanks! One question, should the dough be chilled before rolling out? Thanks!