The holidays are here and there isn’t a better time for cookie decorating! This is my favorite sugar cookie recipe which creates soft buttery flavorful cookies. It’s a simple recipe with basic ingredients. The cookie dough rolls out smooth, cuts easy, cooks in 6-7 minutes and the cookies keep their shape. Best of all, they taste amazing!
Sugar Cookie Helpful tips:
- Sweet cream butter is a no-no. Do not use, it makes the dough sticky and wet
- Do not over mix when creaming your butter & sugar, this adds too much air
- For dough thickness – I use an adjustable rolling pin with removable rings so I can evenly roll to the desired thickness
- I roll out the dough on wax paper. The dough doesn’t stick and its easy to lift off when transferring to the cookie baking sheet
- This sugar cookie recipe above makes about 12-14 large cookies (3″-4″ cookie cutters)
- Minimize project time by baking more cookies at once. Use these extra large 21″ x 15″ baking sheet pans (make sure you measure your oven width, it fits perfectly in my standard oven)
- Limited on space? these stackable cooling racks are awesome. Package includes 3. I stack when cookies cool, then unstack and use as drying racks during my cookie decorating parties
- Ann Clark holiday cookie cutters are hands down the best in quality & design. Made in the USA and have been around 30+ years
- I prefer mixing up some royal icing & adding gel coloring but often use Wilton’s bottled cookie icing when the kids are decorating. The Wilton icing comes in a handy squirt bottle and is just easier for the kids to handle.